2017年4月14日 星期五

Greetings from India and Singapore!

Hello!

Today I am going to share the postcards I received from India and Singapore with you!

I will give a brief introduction before taking a look at the postcards.
Enjoy them!


[India]

What comes to your mind when you hear the country India?
Bollywood? Movies with lots of singing and dancing?
The national hero Ghandi? Or the caste system?

India(印度) is a country located in South Asia, with Indian Ocean in the south, Arabian Sea in the southwest, and the Bay of Bengal (孟加拉灣) in the southeast. 
The neighboring countries are Pakistan(巴基斯坦), China, Nepal(尼泊爾), Bhutan(不丹), Myanmar(緬甸), and Bangladesh(孟加拉). 

(Sources: Google)

India is the second populous country in the world. There are many different kinds of religions in India such as Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam; Hinduism is the main religion in India. Perhaps the most well-known tourist attraction in India is the Taj Mahal, a tomb constructed by the emperor, Shah Jahan, for his beloved wife. 

(Sources: Google)


[Postcards from India]

This is a postcard of the Stone Chariot in Hampi, which is a local tourist attraction. Hampi is a village in northern Karnataka State, which is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since it was once the capital of a former empire. 

In fact, the "Stone Chariot" is not a real chariot. It is actually a shrine built like a chariot. 


The following postcard is about a peacock. The Indian Peafowl is celebrated in Indian mythology. It is said to be the vehicle of Lord Kartikeya, Hindu god of war. The peacock is also the national bird of India. 


The next two postcards are the same! They are sent by different people in different times. To be honest, not until yesterday did I notice that I had received two same postcards from India!

The postcard is also about an ancient site in Hampi, India. Just as I mentioned above, Hampi was once the capital of a powerful empire: The Vijayanagara Empire. 

The monument is called the Lotus Mahal. This is a non-religion structure which is said to be used as a socializing area for women in the royal family. 



[Singapore]

Well, people perhaps are more familiar with this prosperous country located in southeast Asia. I guess there is no need for the brief introduction of it. 

(Sources: Google)

This postcard is from Singapore. It shows the famous symbol of Singapore: the Merlion.

Singapore's first two Merlion statues were sculpted in 1972. Both of them were once located at the mouth of the Singapore River, but they were later moved to the new Merlion Park in 2002.


The other postcard I received from Singapore is about the famous cartoon: Madagascar! The sender said that she bought this postcard at the Universal Studios.


Last but not the least, these are the stamps of the postcards from India and Singapore.


Thank you for spending your precious time reading my blog!
I hope you enjoy them!

Have you ever been to India or Singapore?
What do you think of these two extremely different countries?
Feel free to share with me in the comments below :)

3 則留言:

  1. The top two things come to my mind about India are religion and curry. Indian culture do influence East and Southeast Asian countries a lot. The three main religions, Hinduism, Buddhism and Vedism affect each other, and was brought to East and Southeast Asian. I think if we want to know the origin of our culture and religion, we have to know more about this mysterious country.

    I have been to Singapore once. Singapore is a country with clean environment and well-discipline people. It is really friendly for tourists to visit there.

    回覆刪除
  2. The post cards from India looks exactly like they're from India lol I've always wanting to visit that country since I'm interested in their food and their religion although I'm not a Buddhist. However, I heard of a saying, "If you haven't been cheated in India, you didn't truly visit this country." I think the best way to visit that country would be knowing a person that came from there and ask he or she to take you around... By the way that Madagascar post card looks so cute! Although it looks really "un-Singapore" lol

    回覆刪除
  3. I had never been to Singapore but I have heard a lot about the Merlion. I think the illustration of combining the lion(the original name of Singapore) and the fish(surrounding by sea) was really creative and meaningful. Some of my friends had sent to me a box of chocolate in the shape of the Merlion after they visited Singapore and I thought it was super cute!

    回覆刪除